Each year, we employ lifeguards, concession workers, and a pool manager to work during the pool season, from Memorial Day Weekend to Labor Day.
If you are interested in working at the Roanoke Moose Family Center 284 pool for the summer season, please review the position descriptions below, and then download, print, complete and return the application for employment by dropping it by the lodge, or sending it by mail to:
Roanoke Moose Family Center 284
P.O. Box 538
Salem, VA 24153
Continuously observes swimming area to ensure safety of patrons. Ensures the swimming area is open to patrons at scheduled times and only authorized persons are admitted to the area. Rescues swimmers in trouble, promptly administers first aid, and calls for medical assistance if and when needed. Warns swimmers of unsafe environmental or health conditions, and recommends closing swimming areas until safe conditions prevail. Lifeguards are responsible for enforcing all pool rules fairly and consistently.
May perform other related or incidental duties as assigned for daily operation of the swimming area to include: cleaning of bath houses, wading pools, main pool, pool decks, sunbathing areas, etc.
- Must have a valid Virginia Lifeguarding Certification prior to applying.
- Must have reliable transportation.
Prepares and serves food for swimming pool patrons. Calculates monies due, receives money and provides change to swimming pool patrons purchasing concession items. Maintains inventory and advises the Swimming Pool Manager of depletion of stock. Performs routine upkeep and cleaning of facilities. Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Ability to read, write and perform mathematical calculations at a high school level.
- Must have reliable transportation.
SWIMMING POOL MANAGER
Responsibilities include but are not limited to enforcing policies and procedures, which ensure efficient and effective operation of pool facilities including personnel management and training. Duties involve all swimming pool operations, including first aid, rotations, scheduling for staff, public relations, janitorial duties, limited pool maintenance including, pool cleaning, cleaning of bathrooms & concession stand area, and all other duties as necessary or required. This employee should have excellent organizational, communication, and public relation skills. This is a working supervisory position requiring weekend and holiday work.
- Prepare all work schedules for employees, while maintaining staff rotations and staff breaks
- Assist in hiring of lifeguards
- Ensure hourly employees work no more than 40 hours per week
- Report hours, days, & time worked for all employees under his/her direct supervision
- Have all completed timecards to the lodge office by close of business on Tuesday
- Ensure employees under his/her direct supervision are properly trained in their duties
- Track pool attendance, balance cash drawer, & bring money to the lodge office for deposit
- Ensure proper operating condition of all equipment
- Handle first aid problems
- Maintain discipline at the swimming pool facility and supervises all staff enforcing staff policies and rules
- Enforce the Swimming Pool rules and regulations to staff and public
- Maintain positive public relations at the swimming pool
- Document and reports all disciplinary problems and accidents to the Lodge Administrator
- Maintain a clean facility including but not limited to bathrooms, trash picked up in and outside of facility, pool vacuumed a minimum of 2 times per week, more as needed
- Set a positive example for the rest of the staff to follow
- Inform Lodge Administrator when supplies are needed and if equipment needs repairs
- Schedule events held at the pool at times other than the regularly scheduled hours
- Check all gates and doors at closing time
- Meet with the Board of Officers once each month and provide information concerning pool operations
- Other duties as deemed necessary or as required